My holiday baking continues, and this time the star of the show: Turtle Cookies! Seriously, I can’t explain how delightful these cookies are; bursting with chocolate, pecans and caramel they will soon become your new favorite!
Last holiday season my friend Maggie and I baked Christmas cookies together. We knew we wanted to bake cookies again and we knew we DEFINITELY had to make these Turtle Cookies again! This past weekend my two friends Maggie, Michelle and I had our “epic baking day” making sugar cookies, white chocolate cranberry oatmeal cookies and these scrumptious turtle cookies. Spending the day not worrying about classes and assignments was a nice change of pace from school, plus we each ended up with a tray full of cookies! These Turtle Cookies are made with a chocolate dough base and heavily coated in chopped pecan pieces. Filled with delectable gooey caramel and drizzled with chocolate to top of the insanely delicious treat!
I know I have been posting cookies like crazy, but ’tis the season! Plus you can never have too many cookie recipes!
1 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick (8 T.) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg, separated
2 T milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups pecan, finely chopped
16 soft caramel candies
1 T creamer
2 T milk
1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
1 tsp butter
- Combine flour, cocoa and salt and set mixture aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Next add egg yolk, milk and vanilla until well mixed. Reduce speed and slowly add flour mixture until combined.
- Wrap dough and refrigerate until firm, 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg white in a bowl until frothy. Place chopped pecans in another bowl. Roll 1 inch balls (recipe will make around 24 cookies), dip in egg whites and then roll in pecans. Place balls on tray.
- Using a spoon, make an indentation in the center of each ball and place tray in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- To prepare caramel wait until cookies are almost done cooking. Microwave unwrapped caramel and cream in a bowl for 2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds.
- Once cookies are done, remove them form the oven and re-press the indentations. Fill each hole with a spoonful of the caramel mixture. Let them cool on the pan before transferring to a wire rack.
- Place chocolate and butter in a small bowl and microwave for 1 and half minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or so. Scoop chocolate sauce into a zip lock baggie and snip a tiny hole in the corner. Use a baggie to drizzle chocolate over the cookies. Enjoy!